Friday, February 11, 2011

Review: The Scent of Jasmine


The Scent of JasmineThe Scent of Jasmine by Jude Deveraux

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Once again, I fall victim to my Jude Deveraux addiction. While few of Deveraux's books ever land on my favorites shelf, I always consistently return to her when I need a good read. A few of her books (Holly, Sweetbriar, and the Forever and Always trilogy, for example) fall flat for me, but I'm always willing to give her books a chance. This time, I'm glad I did. The Scent of Jasmine is a new favorite of mine.

So far, there are four books in the Edilean series, and only one has truly disappointed me--Days of Gold. The rest of the series has been fun and inventive. Deveraux's task in this series--telling the history of a town through it's romances--has given her writing a much needed boost. The unique format of the series plays to Deveraux's strengths--her ability to write in both modern and historical settings, her lighthearted humor, excellent research skills, and her ability to create a rich texture of interconnected narratives. This book tells the story of Cay and Alex in 1799 South Carolina. Alex has been convicted of murder and scheduled to hang. Cay's godfather convinces her to assist Alex in his escape from prison, but nothing goes as planned. Cay is recognized, and she and Alex are soon fugitives. Thrown together by chance, the pair bond over their flight and find themselves struggling to create a future while running from the past.

The Scent of Jasmine was just what I wanted it to be, lighthearted and sweet. I recommend it for fans of Deveraux and those seeking a simple historical romance.



View all my reviews

No comments: