Sunday, January 02, 2011

Review: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy


The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1)The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I finally sat down and read this book as my first read of 2010. I had never read it previously, but most of my friends had. For years, they kept telling me it was wonderful, but it took a prod from my facebook friend Jeff (who I've known, on and off, since I was about 3) to actually give it a chance.

When I went to see the 2005 movie, it was completely new to me. If I'd ever heard a reference to "42" before, I didn't understand it, and promptly forgot it. However, seeing the movie before reading the book meant that too much of the book was familiar to me. The movie had some scenes that were not in the book at all--I honestly don't know if they're in the sequels or not. Several reviews of the movie discussed the fact that Trillian's role was greatly expanded in the movie. That's one change I can approve of. I was disappointed by the lack of any concrete role for female characters in the book. While Trillian is present throughout major parts of the narrative, her primary role seems to be to act as another improbability.

Other than my qualms about the lack of women, I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was lighthearted and fun, a fast read, and I thoroughly enjoyed the postmodern interruptions from the Guide itself. The playful nature of this book, with it's occasional biting satire of bureaucracy, was brilliant. I can easily understand why this book has become as important as it is within the geek community.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

mgr said...

I REALLY APPRICIATE YOUR READING HABIT

Nancy said...

Thank you, mgr.