Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Review: Bitterblue


Bitterblue
Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



This was a brilliant addition to the Graceling Realm series. I don't want to say too much about it, as I'd rather have people read it for themselves. What I can say is this: the book is a long meditation on what it means to heal and move forward.

I've always been drawn to fantasy for the characters. It seems to me that a fantasy must have psychologically real characters at its base in order to allow for the suspension of disbelief for the world in which the story is set. If the characters and the world have nothing real in them, then the book adds very little to the world. For all that the Graceling Realm is quite odd, the characters themselves are quite human. I love that Cashore recognized that Monsea and Bitterblue would need to fight in order to heal. Overall, I found this book to be excellent, and I recommend it highly.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

Keertana said...

Great review Nan! I love Kristen Cashore's writing and I'm so glad you enjoyed this final installment in her Seven Realms trilogy!(:

~Keertana
Ivy Book Bindings