Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Review: A Monster Calls


A Monster Calls
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



You've been warned. If you're reading this review, that means you clicked the spoiler button and are willing to know about what happens in this book. If you don't want to know, stop reading. If you don't want to read about my incredibly personal reaction to this book, stop reading.

Ok, then.

I loved this book. It made me cry, and it made me miss my mom.

My mom died on July 28th, 1990. She was 42. I was 14. It was a heart attack, a very sudden death. She had a chronic illness, but we never expected her to pass without warning the way that she did. I never got to say goodbye. I had a migraine that day when we were visiting my grandparents. I went into the guest room to sleep it off, and my grandfather and sister didn't bother to wake me when they took mom to the doctor's office. She passed away en route.

Reading this book, I remembered the impotent rage, the feeling of separation from peers, the fear about the future. It was all so real and true that I felt like breaking something, too.

I hope this book finds its way into the hands of those children and teens and adults that need it. We need it not only when we lose someone but also just to understand our own nature and the importance of what we do.

I loved this book.



View all my reviews

No comments: