Sunday, September 14, 2014

10 Books



I posted this list to Facebook a while back, but it bears repeating here.
In no particular order, here are the 10 books that most influenced me before I was 20.

Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery
Montgomery inspired me with the idea of a wartime romance and the struggle to keep oneself true in a world that wants you jaded.


Magic's Pawn by Mercedes Lackey
Lackey taught me that same sex romance was really just romance.


The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley
McKinley shaped my voice.


Life Without Friends by Ellen Emerson White
White probably taught me the most about writing and about healing. Her books shaped my sense of humor and showed me what was possible in fiction. Really, this book should be at the top of my list because it influenced me as a person and a writer.


A Ring of Endless Light by Madeline L'Engle
L'Engle got me to think about faith and science, shaping my thoughts on both.


The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
Jordan tested my willingness to invest in long narratives.


Don't Care High by Gordon Korman
Korman taught me that a twelve year old could write a book and launch a career. This book was also really really funny.


The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith
Smith taught me that it was possible to create your own vampire mythos.


A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
Le Guin was simply awesome.


Beauty by Sheri S. Tepper
Tepper showed me that fiction could engage with Big Ideas. I found most of her ideas repellent as I got older, but this book taught me to ask questions.

No comments: