Monday, November 22, 2010

Review: Hearts At Stake


Hearts At Stake (The Drake Chronicles #1)Hearts At Stake by Alyxandra Harvey

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


A reasonably entertaining first entry in a new paranormal series. The characters, Solange, Lucy, Nicholas, and Kieran, are fairly well drawn. The book moves swiftly and has a fairly action-packed plot.



While I have no serious complaints with this book, it wasn't my "cuppa," as we used to say at Readerville. I have very high standards for the YA fiction that I enjoy. Most of the time, being merely entertaining is not quite enough. I want my books to have something great about them--a fantastic mythology (this one was decent, but not amazing), excellent writing (as with Becca Fitzpatrick's books, fun characters (The Morganville Vampires), or a wonderful setting (the Gothic South of Beautiful Creatures).



I'm sure that a number of readers will enjoy this book. I did, too. But I didn't enjoy it enough to keep going with the series.



View all my reviews

No comments: