Sunday, November 07, 2010

Review: Mistwood


MistwoodMistwood by Leah Cypess

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Robin McKinley recommended this book highly in her blog. Personally, I recommend that you read her review, as she quotes long passages that help to explain just how marvelous this book is.



I've been reading YA fantasy and adult fantasy for over 25 years. McKinley's The Hero and the Crown was the first YA fantasy that I remember reading clearly. It set the bar quite high, and after that introduction, I've never been that patient with bad fantasy. After reading this book, I think Leah Cypress is going to join McKinley on my very short list of truly wonderful writers.



Mistwood is an amazing book, filled with plot twists that surprised even me, and truly wonderful writing. I really don't want to discuss the plot too much; others may be more perceptive than I am and guess some of the twists. Personally, I think this novel works best when you sit back and gulp it down without trying to second guess our narrators or the truths they've been told. Trust me. Read McKinley's review (if you dare!) and read this book. It's an experience not to be missed.



View all my reviews

No comments: